ABOUT BOARD 1
The majority of the nails on this board are new wire nails. Wire nails were introduced in the 1880’s.
The top nail is the largest in the collection ⅞" x ¾" x 14" long from Manor House Farm, Rogiet, Monmouthshire.
Another interesting nail is no.44 used to hold up a hessian ceiling in the kitchen of The Old Tredegar Arms, Ynysddu, Gwent.
Two nails at no.38 were recovered from a Queen Ann window (1700) that was replaced in The Kings Head Inn, Blakeney, Gloucestershire. Box frame windows did not make an appearance in the UK until 1660's (see subsequent pages).